freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeTDS on Debian: connect to MSSQL with ODBC fails

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Boniforti Flavio" <flavio AT piramide.ch>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeTDS on Debian: connect to MSSQL with ODBC fails
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 09:11:32 +0100

Hello again Peter...

> > Where may the problem be?
>
> I'm making some suggestions here without knowing enough about
> your environment. Please take this with a grain of salt,
> unixODBC does a lot of dynamic linking/loading magic to allow
> for multiple library providers, etc.

I actually don't know what you're talking about, because it goes well
further than my knowledge about ODBC (in fact, I simply know that I may
use ODBC to connect to some db, nothing more).

> That said, installing your odbc library into /usr/lib/odbc is
> probably putting it outside the normal search path of the
> dynamic linker. For the sake of testing, can you try running:
>
> env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/odbc osql -S sqlexpress -U sa -P XXXXXX

Here we go:

root@ticket:~# env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/odbc osql -S sqlexpress -U
sa -P XXXXXX
osql: error: no potential directory strings in "/usr/bin/isql"
isql strings are:
+ /lib/ld-linux.so.2

> though it looks like osql is using strings on the isql binary
> instead of something more sensbile like ldd, objdump -x, etc.
> So this could get more complex.
>
> However, in practice using that should allow isql to find the library.
> If not, then you need to muck around with building with
> linker flags like -Wl,-R/usr/lib/odbc when you link your isql
> so that osql can find it, or setting your LD_LIBRARY_PATH and
> LD_RUN_PATH so that ld uses the run path when linking, and so
> the paths get saved in the binary.
>
> BTW, did you build your freetds with the
> --with-unixodbc=/usr/lib/odbc or something similar to enable it?

Peter, I did not compile anything on my Debian server: I simply
installed via apt the relevant pieces of software.

ii freetds-bin 0.82-7
FreeTDS command-line utilities
ii freetds-common 0.82-7
configuration files for FreeTDS SQL client libraries

Where may I get help on this issue? It's really frustrating, having set
up OTRS but not being able to use the data I already have in my MSSQL db
(which stores our company db, with customer data).

Kind regards,
Flavio Boniforti

PIRAMIDE INFORMATICA SAGL
Via Ballerini 21