freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeTDS on Debian: connect to MSSQL with ODBC fails

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Boniforti Flavio" <flavio AT piramide.ch>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeTDS on Debian: connect to MSSQL with ODBC fails
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 11:33:51 +0100

Hy there again...

> We're discussing dynamic linker issues, and it's really a
> tangent to your issue. Let's start with basics:
>
> 1) If you can connect from unix via ODBC, you don't actually
> need ODBC on the unix side because the ODBC driver is
> actually going to use the FreeTDS layer underneath

Sorry, but I'm missing this part! If I *can* connect via ODBC then I
*don't need* it?

> 2) Since FreeTDS is what you really want to test, try using
> tsql to connect to your database first.

tsql *is* actually working:

root@ticket:~# tsql -S sqlexpress -U sa
locale is "it_CH.UTF-8"
locale charset is "UTF-8"
Password:
1>

> 3) If this works, see if you can work with the
> freetds-specific drivers first (e.g. perl/php/python etc.
> FreeTDS modules).

I have to underline that I'm on the FreeTDS list because nobody on the
OTRS list could give me an answer. My issue is that from OTRS (which is
written in perl, as far as I understand), I am able to correctly
*connect* to my MSSQL db, and also to fetch data with a query. The main
trouble comes when OTRS GUI has to show me the results: I get the
correct number of lines, corresponding to the number of occurrences of
my search pattern (Customer Name), but they are completely *blank*!
Thus, I've been adviced to change my connectivity from "sybase" to
"odbc", and here I am, facing the fact that tsql is connecting, whereas
isql is not!

> To test connectivity, first try:

> and see if that works. If it does, and if you want to, you
> can continue to work on ODBC.

As from above, it *does* work, therefore: how may I get your help to go
on and make the ODBC connection also work?

Many thanks again!
Flavio Boniforti

PIRAMIDE INFORMATICA SAGL
Via Ballerini 21