freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeTDS on Debian: connect to MSSQL with ODBC fails

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: christos AT zoulas.com (Christos Zoulas)
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>, ikorot AT earthlink.net
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeTDS on Debian: connect to MSSQL with ODBC fails
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 20:46:37 -0500

On Dec 2, 8:01pm, jklowden AT freetds.org ("James K. Lowden") wrote:

| ikorot AT earthlink.net wrote:
| >
| > Maybe we can code something in Perl?
| > It will be independent of the shell and run on every Linux.
|
| Running on every Linux isn't the goal. Running on every everything is the
| goal! ;-)
|
| Anything with unixODBC installed has a shell; the same can't be said of
| Perl.
|
| I don't want to discourage you. If you want to contribute osql.pl, I
| won't object. But, I as told Peter, portability hasn't really been a
| major difficulty. Testing the setup and reporting useful diagnostics has
| been the the reason for most of the changes. See for yourself at

http://freetds.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/freetds/freetds/src/apps/osql?view=log.

I don't see what's so difficult about writing osql that run's with the 70's
based solaris bourne shell. It is a real shame that soracle does not get on
with the program and fix some of this nonsense, so that we don't have to
keep writing crappy code because they cannot seem to understand that it is
not the 70's anymore.

Of course we could all decide to drop solaris from the list of supported
OS's and vote with our feet.

christos