freetds - Re: [freetds] Plan to support newer MS SQL Server types

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddy77 AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Plan to support newer MS SQL Server types
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 10:05:45 +0200

2010/4/18 James K. Lowden <jklowden AT freetds.org>:
> johnrgavin AT att.net wrote:
>>
>> The main thing is that I can put tds versions 4.2, 7.0 and 8.0 into my
>> freetds.conf and the logs verify that I am connecting at that level.  If
>> I try 9.0, which is what I assume would be 7.2 in the Microsoft
>> versioning scheme, I get a connect failure.  Also, I didn't see version
>> 9.0 in the documentation, so my assumption was that it isn't there; I
>> may have missed something.
>>
>> The other thing is that if I select from a DATE or TIME (not datetime)
>> column on a SQL Server 2008R2 database, inspecting the column headers
>> returned in the RESULT SET tells me they are returned to the client as
>> CHAR.  These would be TDS 7.3 types, so if you are telling me you have
>> 7.2 covered, that would explain this.
>>
>> I could send sample programs and the like if necessary, but I'm really
>> mostly trying to know what the library provides at this point.
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187594(SQL.90).aspx
>
> As you gathered from the documentation, SQL Sever 2000 datatypes are all
> supported in 0.82, and most 2005 datatypes are supported in the current
> snapshot.

Current CVS support protocol 7.2 under ODBC. Either dblib, ctlib and
even tsql do not support 7.2. This due to conversion problems using
VARCHAR/CHAR(MAX). Probably tsql and ctlib will support (in a
unplanned future) 7.2. Probably dblib hardly will support 7.2 due to
some incompatibility with LOBs.

> I'm not too sure about the variant datatype, though.

Surely supported by ODBC, recently fixed in tsql... I don't know about
ctlib and dblib :(

> Work on the new datatypes introduced with SQL Server 2008 is proceding
> fitfully.

That is is not proceding :)

It's not that hard to add support for this kind of types is harder to
support MARS (using MARS transaction protocol change a bit and also
libTDS needs changes). Also we do not support binary XML... but nobody
seems to care about it :) (me too!).