freetds - Re: [freetds] Plan to support newer MS SQL Server types

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Plan to support newer MS SQL Server types
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 16:40:09 -0400

johnrgavin AT att.net wrote:

> The main thing is that I can put tds versions 4.2, 7.0 and 8.0 into my
> freetds.conf and the logs verify that I am connecting at that level. If
> I try 9.0, which is what I assume would be 7.2 in the Microsoft
> versioning scheme, I get a connect failure. Also, I didn't see version
> 9.0 in the documentation, so my assumption was that it isn't there; I
> may have missed something.
>
> The other thing is that if I select from a DATE or TIME (not datetime)
> column on a SQL Server 2008R2 database, inspecting the column headers
> returned in the RESULT SET tells me they are returned to the client as
> CHAR. These would be TDS 7.3 types, so if you are telling me you have
> 7.2 covered, that would explain this.
>
> I could send sample programs and the like if necessary, but I'm really
> mostly trying to know what the library provides at this point.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187594(SQL.90).aspx

As you gathered from the documentation, SQL Sever 2000 datatypes are all
supported in 0.82, and most 2005 datatypes are supported in the current
snapshot.

I'm not too sure about the variant datatype, though.

Work on the new datatypes introduced with SQL Server 2008 is proceding
fitfully.

HTH.