freetds - Re: [freetds] Plan to support newer MS SQL Server types

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: johnrgavin AT att.net
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Plan to support newer MS SQL Server types
  • Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 17:42:58 +0000

My apologies if this does not hit the right thread - I am responding to a
daily digest. I am switching my preferences to email-at-a-time, so this
should work better in the future.

The main thing is that I can put tds versions 4.2, 7.0 and 8.0 into my
freetds.conf and the logs verify that I am connecting at that level. If I
try 9.0, which is what I assume would be 7.2 in the Microsoft versioning
scheme, I get a connect failure. Also, I didn't see version 9.0 in the
documentation, so my assumption was that it isn't there; I may have missed
something.

The other thing is that if I select from a DATE or TIME (not datetime) column
on a SQL Server 2008R2 database, inspecting the column headers returned in
the RESULT SET tells me they are returned to the client as CHAR. These would
be TDS 7.3 types, so if you are telling me you have 7.2 covered, that would
explain this.

I could send sample programs and the like if necessary, but I'm really mostly
trying to know what the library provides at this point. I've been testing on
a Gentoo Linux client connecting to a v2008R2 SQL Server, and I'm switching
between version 0.82 and the CVS head (as of sometime last week)

Thanks for your time,

John

On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 03:14:12PM +0000, johnrgavin AT att.net wrote:
> Unless I'm doing something wrong, it looks as if the latest version of
(Microsoft's) TDS that's supported by FreeTDS is 7.1. Are there any plans to
support later versions?

I don't know that you're doing anything wrong, but what exactly are you
referring to?

I'd like to think 7.2 is already supported, has been for a long time.
Some things, in particular MARS, are missing and may well remain that way
indefinitely pending interest and effort.

--jkl