freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeTDS Digest, Vol 87, Issue 19

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Benjamin Slade <PublicMailbox AT benslade.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeTDS Digest, Vol 87, Issue 19
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 22:17:41 -0400

"James K. Lowden" wrote:

Ben wrote:
the central/default config file sets the 'text size' option, but some types of servers don't like the "set text size" command caused by that command (causes failed logins).

I'm not aware of such servers. Could you be more specific?

The servers I'm talking about here are Sybase replication servers.
They're actually based on the same run time core as the regular
Sybase dataservers. In terms of market share, they're a very very
small portion of the market.

How can I unset the 'text size' option so that freetds doesn't send the "set text size" command to the server?

Edit the source and re-build, I'm afraid. IIRC sending "set text size"
was observed behavior in the vendor tools. It was added because otherwise
text columns are represented as 2^31 bytes on Microsoft servers, leading
to malloc(3) failures.
If there are indeed servers that choke on it, then we'd obviously need
some kind of fix. The general solution wouldn't be to remove the existing
behavior. I'd prefer we understand exactly the conditions under which it
can't be sent, and to document it or, better, detect it and DTRT
automatically.

Since this is a pretty uncommon operation, even at our site, I think we
can use a work around (perl spawning a Sybase isql executable). My guess is
it's not worth changing TDS to accomodate this. But I would be glad to supply
any info that might help (TDS trace log, etc) if you want to.

So, I just wanted to know if there was some option I was missing. It sounds
like there's not. Thanks for the quick reply.

Ben Slade
NCBI.NLM.NIH.gov