freetds - Re: [freetds] Regarding MSSQL connection

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Gopalakrishnan A.N" <saigop AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Regarding MSSQL connection
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 21:34:52 +0530

Hi James,
At last I found FreeTDS has inbuilt ODBC driver, so the unixODBC is not
required. Please correct me if I am wrong?

When i use tsql , I got the following below to connect with database.
[root@localhost ~]# tsql -S MSTEST -U cims
locale is "C"
locale charset is "ANSI_X3.4-1968"
Password:
1> go
1> connect CIMS;
2> go
Msg 2812, Level 16, State 62, Server OPT-CHN-TS01, Line 1
Could not find stored procedure 'connect'.
1> database CIMS;
2> go
Msg 156, Level 15, State 1, Server OPT-CHN-TS01, Line 1
Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'database'.
1>

Then I tried with PHP, in PHP i need to give the database name in
freetds.conf, like this

<?php
//phpinfo();
# connect to a DSN "MSSQLTest" with a user "cheech" and password "chong"
$connect = odbc_connect("MSTEST", "CIMS", "$ql$wtcintra08");

# query the users table for all fields
$query = "SELECT * FROM DLR_DIAL_DTL";

# perform the query
$result = odbc_exec($connect, $query);

# fetch the data from the database
while(odbc_fetch_row($result)) {
$field1 = odbc_result($result, 1);
$field2 = odbc_result($result, 2);
print("$field1 $field2\n");
}

my freetds.conf looks like this

[root@localhost ~]# cat /usr/local/etc/freetds.conf
# $Id: freetds.conf,v 1.12 2007/12/25 06:02:36 jklowden Exp $
#
# This file is installed by FreeTDS if no file by the same
# name is found in the installation directory.
#
# For information about the layout of this file and its settings,
# see the freetds.conf manpage "man freetds.conf".

# Global settings are overridden by those in a database
# server specific section
[global]
# TDS protocol version
; tds version = 4.2

# Whether to write a TDSDUMP file for diagnostic purposes
# (setting this to /tmp is insecure on a multi-user system)
; dump file = /tmp/freetds.log
; debug flags = 0xffff

# Command and connection timeouts
; timeout = 10
; connect timeout = 10

# If you get out-of-memory errors, it may mean that your client
# is trying to allocate a huge buffer for a TEXT field.
# Try setting 'text size' to a more reasonable limit
text size = 64512

# A typical Sybase server
#[egServer50]
# host = symachine.domain.com
# port = 5000
# tds version = 5.0

# A typical Microsoft server
#[egServer70]
# host = 172.20.182.10
# port = 1433
# tds version = 7.0

[MSTEST]
host = 172.20.182.10
port = 1433
tds version = 8.0

By default when we specify the dns there we used to give the database name.
can you please assist me where I am wrong.