freetds - Re: [freetds] Regarding MSSQL connection

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Regarding MSSQL connection
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 00:15:04 -0500

Gopalakrishnan A.N wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 6:27 PM, James K. Lowden
> <jklowden AT freetds.org>wrote:
> > Servername = 172.20.182.10
> >
> > should be
> >
> > Servername = egServer70
> >
> > The ODBC Servername connection property refers to a name in
> > freetds.conf.
> >

> Again I am getting like this error when I try to use
>
> [root@localhost ~]# tsql -S 172.20.182.10 -p 1433 -U cims -P
> $ql$wtcintra08 -D cims
> locale is "C"
> locale charset is "ANSI_X3.4-1968"
> Msg 20009, Level 9, State -1, Server OpenClient, Line -1
> Unable to connect: Adaptive Server is unavailable or does not exist
> There was a problem connecting to the server

Two words of advice for you, Gopal: "man tsql". The man pages and user
guide include extensive discussion on how to use tsql. Great pains are
taken to distinguish between using and not using freetds.conf as part of
testing.

You need to be clear in your own mind when you're referring to a
freetds.conf [servername] and when you're referring to a DNS hostname, and
why.

If something in the documentation is unclear or ambiguous, I would
appreciate it if you would point it out. I like to believe that anyone
who takes the time to read it can find everything he needs there. About
FreeTDS, anyway.

I also suggest trying TDSDUMPCONFIG and TDSDUMP as ways to see how the
names resolve to numbers. And I believe I mentioned

> > (The osql script is intended to report mistakes like this.)

wrt ODBC and isql.

> [root@localhost ~]# tsql -C
> Compile-time settings (established with the "configure" script)
> Version: freetds v0.82
> freetds.conf directory: /usr/local/etc
> MS db-lib source compatibility: no // here do i need this to yes to
> communicate with SQL server?

http://www.freetds.org/userguide/config.htm
"Typically needed only for porting Win32 applications to Unix."

> TDS version: 5.0 //here I am using v0.82 which is
> version 8 rite?

http://www.freetds.org/userguide/tdshistory.htm
No. The FreeTDS release (0.82) is unrelated to the TDS version.

> unixodbc: yes //unixodbc is yes, is this creates
> problem?

Take a breath. Your difficulties are not caused by which Linux
distribution you're using, or which Driver Manager, or anything like that.
What you need to do is to take a step back, read the fine manual, and
work your way through the user guide, step by step.

Regards,