freetds - Re: [freetds] Regarding MSSQL connection

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Regarding MSSQL connection
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 19:21:47 -0500

Gopalakrishnan A.N wrote:
> I dont understand the driver manager is within the freetds or
> we need to install unixodbc for driver manager.

It is confusing.

The Driver Manager (DM) lives between the driver and the application. It
does some things that the application expects if the driver doesn't do
them (things the driver may or may not do). And it defines things that
are contant for all drivers.

To define common things, the DM provides header files e.g. sql.h. All
drivers it manages use its header files. That way, all drivers have the
same integer value for, say, SQL_NO_DATA.

The easiest way to build FreeTDS's ODBC driver, or any other in unixland,
is to first install a DM, and then use the configure option to tell
FreeTDS where the DM is installed. That way, the DM can do its job for
you.

> i really want to enable the option
> <http://www.freetds.org/userguide/config.htm#WITHODBCNODM>
> --with-odbc-nodm=*DIR to disable driver manager(freetds as I
> understand).*
> please suggest me so that if possible I can reinstall the total
> application.

I don't think you really want to enable that option in your case. It
doesn't "disable" the driver manager; it simply permits building the ODBC
driver without installing a DM.

As I said before, I don't see any evidence the DM is in your way or
causing any difficulties. I see lots of evidence that you're confused
about the DSN/freetds/DNS names, and afaict you haven't tried the osql
script or TDSDUMPCONFIG options. Which, my friend, is making your job
harder than it otherwise would be.

HTH.