freetds - Re: [freetds] Max OS X Panther (solved?)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Daniel Fazekas <fdsubs AT axelero.hu>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Max OS X Panther (solved?)
  • Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 22:13:30 +0100

On Nov 3, 2003, at 22:21, John Gilmore-Baldwin wrote:
Here's what I was able to do to get freetds (NOV-02 snapshot) to compile cleanly on Panther:
In the libtool, change the archive_cmds= line (about line 205) to:
archive_cmds="\$CC \$(if test .\$module = .yes; then echo -bundle; else echo -dynamiclib; fi) \$allow_undefined_flag -o \$lib \$libobjs \$linkopts -install_name \$rpath/\$soname \$verstring"
I removed the \$deplibs in the line. Then cleaned, did a make and a check, and it was working. I'm reasonably happy with the result (though I wish I had a more complete understanding of the cause of this situation).
I hope this is helpful to someone else as well.

Just wanted to say thanks and confirm that it did work and is definitely a lot more helpful than telling people to download a copy of libtool 1.5 which incidentally still isn't available for download on its official page due to the GNU ftp server hack several months ago. (A message saying the download will return "Real Soon Now" has been in its place ever since they discovered the sever was compromised...)

Actually I managed to get freetds compiled and installed on Mac OS X before - with some of the longer methods -, but I gave up when I couldn't get php compiled using freetds afterwards; thinking something broke in freetds with all the changes just to get it installed.

The same problem with php compilation came up this time as well; only I took the time to find a solution, or more like a workaround.

Here's what I found:
PHP 4.3.2 + latest freetds from snapshot, both on Mac OS X 10.3 Panther (I had the same problem with older versions of all three), compiling php will fail at the end if you specify both '--with-mssql' (for freetds) and '--with-mime-magic'.

If you remove either of these two extensions, PHP compiles correctly. Needless to say I went with the mssql extension instead and dropped mime_magic, which I only really added some time ago to test if it is any useful for my purposes - and it didn't turn out to be. Strangely, having both of these extensions enabled at the same time compiles just fine on Linux, which is why it took me considerable time and effort to narrow the problem down to this seemingly innocent mime_magic extension.

--
Daniel, happily using freetds on Linux and now finally Mac OS X to access an SQL Server database running on Windows 2000