freetds - RE: [freetds] coding style choices

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO Frediano" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] coding style choices
  • Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 17:25:04 +0100

> > > I don't foresee any portability problem.
> >
> > I'm too syntetic... Some (old) compilers allocate space for this
> > constant for ever module that declare the constant so I prefer
> > #define.
>
> OK, as you like. For the record, I think you're being too
> stingy. I'd rather use (what I consider) better form, and
> let old compilers catch up. I bet FreeTDS is compiled by gcc
> 90% of the time.

Well. First languages I learnt was (in order)
1 basic
2 pascal
3 assembler

You can note that assembler came before C :)

> > I'd like to change this stuff before 0.62 cause this code was added
> > after 0.61. I don't like lines like
> >
> > dbc->attr.attr_autocommit = state;
> >
> > I prefer something like
> >
> > dbc->attr_autocommit = state;
>
> Oh, my, no, I wouldn't have taken that route. I would use:
>
> dbc->attr.autocommit = state;
>
> As a matter of fact, I'm planning just that for Bill's cursor
> status structure (since he was kind enough to fix the bcp
> structure). See TDS_CURSOR_STATUS in tds.h. It's not used
> yet, but it's meant to replace
>
> declare_status
> cursor_row_status
> open_status
> fetch_status
> close_status
> dealloc_status
>
> in TDS_CURSOR.
>
> Repetitive names nearly always indicate an implicit
> structure, and implicit structures are nearly always inferior
> to explicit ones.

Perhaps you are right :)
I'll think about... a sed 's,attr_,,g' should solve the problem (grep -c
attr_ `find -name \*.[ch]` | grep -v ':0$' | wc -l returns just 3) but
is difficult to change all that stuff without CVS direct access... If
you can do this job I'd appreciate very much.