freetds - [freetds] Max OS X Panther

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: John Gilmore-Baldwin <jbaldwin AT theolympian.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] Max OS X Panther
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 12:59:46 -0800

I'm running into problems getting the make to complete in Panther (Mac OS X 10.3).

The compiles work fine, but the libtool is putting the ./.libs/libtds_objects.a in twice to create the .libs/libtds.2.0.0.dylib library. (this is the first error, but I think the problem is repeated in a few places.)

I can get the command to work properly if I do it manually without the second reference:

gcc -dynamiclib -flat_namespace -undefined suppress -o .libs/libtds.2.0.0.dylib -all_load ./.libs/libtds_objects.a ../replacements/.libs/libreplacements.a -L/usr/lib -liconv ../replacements/.libs/libreplacements.a -lc -install_name /usr/local/lib/libtds.2.dylib -compatibility_version 3 -current_version 3.0

but then if I try to continue to make, it deletes my newly created library and tries to rebuild it and spews out duplicate reference errors:

ld: multiple definitions of symbol _tds_alloc_client_sqlstate
./.libs/libtds_objects.a(mem.o) definition of _tds_alloc_client_sqlstate in section (__TEXT,__text)
./.libs/libtds_objects.a(mem.o) definition of _tds_alloc_client_sqlstate in section (__TEXT,__text)

I'm not super familiar with make. I've tried examining the libtool in the distribution, but it's a lot to digest. I've been able to get freetds to compile on Mac OS X before by tweaking the makefiles a little bit, but I'm struggling a little more with this one.

So, does anyone have any pointers?

John