corpus-paul - Re: EPISPAOMAI in 1 Cor 7:18

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David C. Hindley" <dhindley AT compuserve.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: EPISPAOMAI in 1 Cor 7:18
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 09:11:06 -0400

Zeba Crook says:

>>the term is hapax *in* the NT to 1 Cor 7:18, but it's not "hapax to the
NT,
as you put it; it occurs outside the NT, the implication being to start
there in a
search for meaning.<<

I cannot find the word EPISPAOMAI or cognates used elsewhere in the NT, and
this seems to be confirmed by Sakae Kubo's _Reader's Lexicon_ (page 153).
Doesn't that make it "hapax to the NT?"

Of course, I took Charles's comment as an observation that the word is not
common to the NT. It seemed reasonable to conclude that he makes the
statement because he expects this to have an impact on his research.

Normally, a word being a hapax to the NT *does* make the *usual* bible-study
aids a bit useless. If your point is to recommend first looking at the
non-NT meanings, I would agree. Biblical study aids do seem to have tunnel
vision!

Charles might consider checking some of the lexical aids in the Perseus
website. That will give him a good idea where else the word is used among
the many but not exhaustive list of Greek texts that Perseus has online
(many with English translations). Then he could check the context used by
hyperlinking to the texts themselves.

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/

Respectfully,

Dave Hindley