corpus-paul - EPISPAOMAI in 1 Cor 7:18

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Charles Savelle" <chsavelle AT hotmail.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: EPISPAOMAI in 1 Cor 7:18
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 18:02:58 +0000

Hello all,

I have three interrelated questions regarding the use of the NT hapax EPISPAOMAI ("to remove the marks of circumcision")in 1 Cor 7:18.
The first question pertains to the origin and background of the term. I haven't been too successful in finding much here. Is anyone aware of any detailed studies of the term?
The second question is a little more historical, that is, is there any evidence that early Jewish Christians ever attempted to undo their circumcisions?
The third question is more literary. If early Jewish Christians were not typically involved in being uncircumcised, then what is the purpose of Paul's reference to what basically would be a non-issue in 1 Cor 7:18? At this stage, I am inclined to think that Paul mentions it merely for the sake of balancing his argument and illustrating the comprehensiveness of the principle which he introduced in the previous verse. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer in any or all of these questions.

Charles Savelle,
ThM student at Dallas Theological Seminary