corpus-paul - Re: EPISPAOMAI in 1 Cor 7:18

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanosmd AT comcast.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: EPISPAOMAI in 1 Cor 7:18
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 16:13:00 -0500

Billy,
My point was a very simple one. If you wish to describe historical
developments from rhetorical information, in this case, an instruction to
remain in one's state, then attention to the various ways that Jewish as
well as other author's used rhetoric in antiquity is important. (Gruen's
book is particularly enlightening for rhetoric among Jewish and other
authors for the period of Paul). Otherwise mirror reading (everything
asserted must be because someone else asserts the opposite, etc.) and other
fallacies easily mislead, and one can easily believe one possess clear
historical information when one does not. I assume from the reading in which
you have engaged that you are aware of such matters, but from your earlier
comments it was not clear to me that you were aware of how rhetorical
comments such as Paul's might have been operating (as other than clear
evidence for epispasms among the addressees). It is interesting to learn a
little about you.

Secondly, I asked you for some kind of evidence, that is, from ancient
sources, of that which you believe to be the case, but of which I am
unaware. Namely, that the Jewish Christians of the NT period engaged in
epispasm. If this one text is the only source, then I am skeptical of this
proposal. Are there other ancient texts or sources to consult? (I am not
questioning that throughout the rabbinic period cases arise, but whether
there is some other evidence that suggests Paul was confronting developments
in Corinth of this sort).

Regards,
Mark
--