corpus-paul - Re: Commentaries

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jeff Peterson <peterson AT austingrad.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Commentaries
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 22:18:11 -0500

Making short lists of commentaries is a hobby of mine, so thanks for raising this question. If I could take only one commentary on each Pauline letter (disputed and undisputed) to a desert island (assuming I also had my Nestle and my laptop with Accordance, or at least Schmoller), I'd be inclined to take:

Romans -- Luke Johnson

1 Corinthians -- Richard Hays (Interpretation)

2 Corinthians -- Victor Furnish (Anchor)

Galatians -- either Frank Matera's Sacra Pagina or Sam Williams Abingdon (brief but insightful)

Ephesians -- Ernest Best (ICC)

Philippians -- Gordon Fee (NICNT)

Colossians -- Markus Barth and Helmut Blanke (Anchor)

1-2 Thessalonians -- Abraham Malherbe (Anchor)

Pastorals -- Luke Johnson's LETTERS TO PAUL'S DELEGATES, with Malherbe's forthcoming HERMENEIA pre-ordered via Amazon for parachute delivery (there are three letters, so I'm still meeting the 1-commentary-per-letter spec)

Philemon -- has anyone on the list worked with Barth/Blanke or Fitzmyer? Either one seems like a lot to pack for only 25 verses.

So now everyone share their desert commentary list!

Jeff