corpus-paul - Re: Commentaries

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Elli Elliott" <elli AT kci.net>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Commentaries
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 19:33:04 -0600

Noel Fitzpatrick wrote about opinions on commentaries on Paul's letters--

imho and fwiw --

I have quite a stack of commentaries on Galatians, and F. F. Bruce would not
rise to the top of it.

Betz is still probably the best choice among the current ones, as Martin
Eldred has suggested. It helps to be aware, however of the issues he broke
open with his rhetorical critical approach and the disputes others have had
with his choices. For the details within the architecture, though his
footnotes are the best starting point.

I've found the old Burton commentary quite helpful, too.

For a most balanced summary commentary, I'd suggest Frank Matera's in the
Sacra Pagina series. He comments on key issues in the Greek in
transliterated form. It's not as dense as the others.

I'm not a great fan of Richard Longenecker's perspective, but he certainly
offers density in his references.

J.L. Martyn's Anchor Bible commentary requires a lot of wading through his
personal hypothetical reconstruction of the context. Likewise for Dunn.

Elli

Elli Elliott
(The Rev. Susan M. Elliott, Ph.D.)
Pastor, Zion United Church of Christ, Sterling, Colorado
Pastor, Immanuel Congregational United Church of Christ, Brush, Colorado
Ph.D., New Testament and Early Christianity, Loyola University Chicago
elli AT kci.net