corpus-paul - Re: Commentaries

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Netcom \(Mindspring\)" <dkd7s AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Commentaries
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 14:10:10 -0400

I published a review of the Barth/Blanke commentary, and to my surprise it
was very engaging in terms of its possibilities for the imaginative modern
person to gain entry into a wide range of problems in the ancient world and
their modern corollaries. The information on slavery alone is worth the
price of the commentary. I did indicate however that, as we all know, one
must be ever-so-cautious of Barth's work on Paul because his Anchor -
Ephesians commentary suffers throughout by its failure to take seriously
enough the arguments against Pauline authorship of Ephesians. In this
commentary, he and his student-coauthor continue that assessment of
Ephesians. But in general it has a lot of strengths. I have not had a
chance to study Fitzmyer, so I do not know now it fares by comparison. In
the lectionaries of most churches, Philemon comes up only once in three
years, so it's hard to justify a whole commentary at all just for preaching
purposes, but I particularly appreciated it for the extensive summary of
information on slavery.

-Dave Delaney
Office of the Bishop
Virginia Synod ELCA