corpus-paul - Re: Paul's lies

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Loren Rosson <rossoiii AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul's lies
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 02:13:55 -0700 (PDT)

List --

Yesterday I wrote:

> In various works Context Group members
> like Bruce Malina and Dick
> Rohrbaugh have contrasted Mediterranean
> collectivist cultures and American
> individualistic cultures with the
> following diagram.
>
> Individualist: Collectivist:
>
> Publicly defined self Publicly defined self
> Privately defined self In-group defined self
>
> In-group defined self Privately defined self

I want to add that these diagrams come from Malina's
"The Social World of Jesus and the Gospels", p 85.
They also come from Malina and Neyrey's "Portraits of
Paul", p 215, and Malina and Rohrbaugh's "Social
Science Commentary on the Gospel of John", p 143 --
but in these two books the collectivist diagram is in
error (the privately and publicly defined selves are
juxtaposed). I told Dick Rohrbaugh about this many
moons ago, and he intimated that the errors may be
corrected in later editions.

Loren Rosson III
Nashua NH
rossoiii AT yahoo.com