corpus-paul - Re: The Rhetoric of Persuasion and Example in Paul

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Frank W. Hughes" <fwhughes AT sunbeach.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The Rhetoric of Persuasion and Example in Paul
  • Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 15:23:29 -0400

I can mention a couple of my own works:

Hughes, Frank W., Early Christian Rhetoric and 2 Thessalonians (JSNTSup 30; Sheffield: JSOT Press, 1989).  See especially chapter 2, "The Rhetoric of Letters."

Hughes, Frank W., "The Rhetoric of 1 Thessalonians," in Raymond F. Collins, editor, The Thessalonian Correspondence (Bibliotheca Ephemeridum Theologicarum Lovaniensium, 87; Leuven: Peeters, 1990) 94-116.

See also several of the articles in The Thessalonians Debate, edited by Karl P. Donfried and Johannes Beutler (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2000).  One of them is my "The Social Situations Implied by Rhetoric," which was an SNTS seminar paper from a few years ago.  I would want to emphasize what Karl Donfried and others are trying to get at:  the idea that form criticism of letters and rhetorical criticism of letters are both inportant kinds of analysis and that they both should be done.

I hope this is helpful.  I hope to see some of you at SNTS in Durham this summer as well as the rhetorical meeting in Heidelberg.

Sincerely,
Frank W. Hughes
Lecturer in NT Studies
Codrington College