corpus-paul - Re: The Rhetoric of Persuasion and Example in Paul

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanosmd AT comcast.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The Rhetoric of Persuasion and Example in Paul
  • Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 08:43:17 -0600

on 4/4/02 3:03 AM, Rick & Anne Weymouth at weymouth_123 AT myrealbox.com wrote:

> I am beginning some research that focuses in part on the rhetoric of
> persuasion and example in Paul.
> I was wondering if anyone could point me toward some good recent works in
> that area, as well as some works that focus generally on rhetorical analysis
> in Paul.

> What else is available from the last 10-20 years?

Rick,
The problem is not finding studies on these matters, but being able to read
and process the abundance of materials bearing directly or indirectly on the
topic. As you have not doubt noticed, almost any current commentary or
monograph on any of Paul's letters addresses the topic, often as their
central theme. Some survey type articles/books and collections of essays on
the topic might be useful to note for getting at the many works available.
Here are a few I have at hand:

Anderson, R. D., Jr. Ancient Rhetorical Theory and Paul. Kampen: Kok
Pharos, 1996.
Classen, C. J. Rhetorical Criticism of the New Testament. Tübingen: Mohr
Siebeck, 2000.
Hester, J. D. "Speaker, Audience and Situations: A Modified
Interactional Model." Neotestamentica 32:1 (1998): 251-71.
Kennedy, G. A. New Testament Interpretation through Rhetorical
Criticism. Chapel Hill and London: University of North Carolina Press, 1984.
Kern, P. H. Rhetoric and Galatians: Assessing an approach to Paul¹s
epistle. SNTSMS 101. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1998.
Porter, S. E. "Paul of Tarsus and His Letters." Pages 533-85 in Handbook
of Classical Rhetoric in the Hellenistic Period 330 B. C.-A. D. 400. Edited
by S. E. Porter. Leiden: Brill, 1997.
Porter, S. E. "The Theoretical Justification for Application of
Rhetorical Categories to Pauline Epistolary Literature." Pages 100-22 in
Rhetoric and the New Testament: Essays from the 1992 Heidelberg Conference.
Edited by S. E. Porter and T. H. Olbricht. Sheffield: Sheffield Academic
Press, 1993.
Porter, S. E., ed. Handbook of Classical Rhetoric in the Hellenistic
Period 330 B. C.-A. D. 400. Leiden: Brill, 1997.
Porter, S. E. and T. H. Olbricht, eds. Rhetoric and the New Testament:
Essays from the 1992 Heidelberg Conference. Sheffield: Sheffield Academic
Press, 1993.
Porter, S. E. and T. H. Olbricht, eds. Rhetoric, Scripture and Theology:
Essays from the 1994 Pretoria Conference. Sheffield: Sheffield Academic
Press, 1996.
Porter, S. E. and T. H. Olbricht, eds. The Rhetorical Analysis of
Scripture: Essays from the 1995 London Conference. Sheffield: Sheffield
Academic Press, 1997.
Watson, D. F. "Rhetorical Criticism of the Pauline Epistles Since 1975."
CurBS 3 (1995): 219-48.

Regards,
Mark

--