corpus-paul - Re: corpus-paul digest: April 03, 2002

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Dennis De Jarnette <positivedennis AT mchsi.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: corpus-paul digest: April 03, 2002
  • Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 15:31:31 -0800

Corpus-paul digest wrote:

> Subject: Paul on Kephale
> From: Michael Thomson <mthomson AT eerdmans.com>
> Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 08:43:17 -0500
>
> I am returning to a Masters thesis on the topic of Paul's metaphorical use
> of "Kephale"... trying very much to move beyond the politicized literature
> that is propagated by both conservatives and those advocating new
> positions...
>
> Usually, interpreters see Paul as affirming traditional roles hence "head" =
> "leader"... on the other side there are a few approaches...most creatively
> seeing Paul as meaning something akin to "source"...as in "head" = "source."
>
> The problem is that metaphors don't work so cut and dried and that both of
> these readings have such a strong agenda that they are suspect.
>
> What I am asking the group is... have you come across anything in either
> articles or books that will help. I am doing some reading in linguistics to
> refine my understanding of how metaphor works and not to repeat the
> reduction I am accusing other readers of doing.
>
> I thought I would throw it out there and see what happens...
>
> Cheers
>
> -Michael Thomson

Well I do know that those who advocate leader use Bauer as a lexicon and
those that
want it to be source use Liddle. I do not know if you can throw Tim into the
mix, but
there is a clear husband subordination there which if Tim is Pauline would be
helpful
to decide what Paul meant by the man being the head of the woman like God is
the head
of Christ

--
Positive Dennis