compostteas - Re: [Compostteas] Teamaker basics

compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Compost Teas: 24 hour, EM, IM, BD & fermented plant extracts

  • From: "Frank Teuton" <fteuton AT sympatico.ca>
  • To: <compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org>, <laura_s AT vaxxine.com>
  • Subject: Re: [Compostteas] Teamaker basics
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 10:57:58 -0400

> took mine across the border (NY)to ship yesterday too Frank.
> I'm not sure if my post asking about testing of "surviving" microbes mad
it
> to the list as I didn;t see it but allow me to re-ask. Has any research
> been done about the colonize rate of the plants vs. in the tea ?

I think the answer to this is very much yes, which is why you can have Leaf
Assays done as well as Compost Tea (as well as Soil and Compost). It seems
to be important to get tea on as the plants are leafing out and as new
growth occurs. What grows the microbes on the plant leaves is exudates from
the leaves; that is where they suckle once they leave the womb of the
teabrewer, eh? :-)

> I used Frank's paint filter method when filling my sprayer yesterday.
Guess
> I had too many suspended particals as the mesh blocked and >>>> yes
compost
> tea shower for the person holding the hose. I think I will try the compost
> in a mesh basket with an airstone inside next batch.

Our first try was with little paint filters attached to paper things, these
failed quickly, then we went to the bucket size filters which have much,
much more surface area, no problems. These are also our present tool of
choice for hanging the compost in the vats.

Similar filter bags with lots of surface area are available from Aquatic
Ecosystems, www.aquaticeco.com , in sizes from 1 to 800 microns, 7" in
diameter x 32 " long, order numbers BAG1 through BAG800.

The paint bags seem to be the right size for us, but someone more into fine
tuning could look for the 'perfect' Goldilocks 'just right' filtration size.

Frank