compostteas - Re: [Compostteas] Teamaker basics

compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Compost Teas: 24 hour, EM, IM, BD & fermented plant extracts

  • From: "Frank Teuton" <fteuton AT sympatico.ca>
  • To: <compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "Allan Balliett" <igg AT igg.com>
  • Subject: Re: [Compostteas] Teamaker basics
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 05:01:29 -0400

Allan,

We went to the border on Wednesday to check that we could bring in samples,
and they said the USDA had no problem with samples going for analysis.
Crossing the border means the rigamarole is reduced as far as a lot of
la-de-da that we had to do for the other sample I sent last year.

Weather is a factor, it looks like rain today, so maybe we will only spray
tomorrow AM or tonite. There is also the 'weekend effect', SFI notes on the
website that samples sent that arrive Friday could give bogus results. I
imagine if I fired off a sample today, it gets there tomorrow, sits around
on Sunday, and they don't get it till Monday, could be the same problem, eh?

At a local stop we saw a fellow with a six wheel pickup, set up with tanks
and oxygen in the back. Turned out he was hauling eels. So maybe we should
do like the fish folks and put oxygen in the sample containers?

So, the short answer is 'not this batch' I think. Not that the border thing
is the problem, but the weekend delay is. I have the forms to send them and
frankly, consider it more bioregionally cohesive to send my samples to NY
than to Oregon or Alberta, since NY is our next door neighbor and much
closer, crow-flies-wise, than them left coast locations. (I get a kick out
of lumping Alberta into a 'left coast' rubric, perverse, eh?) :-)

I think we will try to get the two vat system up, run two batches one with
loose, one with contained compost, run sample amounts through the sprayer
and into containers, and ship them off as our first samples either this
Monday (unlikely) or the following Monday.

By running them through the sprayer we would see what organisms actually
make it through filtration and the pump. I don't see any real alternative to
some amount of filtration, so I am thinking why not see what tea makes it to
the 'live in the air' phase?

Frank Teuton