commons-research - Re: [Commons-research] Commons-research Digest, Vol 2, Issue 14

commons-research AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Tyng-Ruey Chuang <trc AT iis.sinica.edu.tw>
  • To: commons-research AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Commons-research] Commons-research Digest, Vol 2, Issue 14
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 01:27:36 +0800

The argument regarding presentations making use of non-cleared content is actually irrelevant to the kind of licensing regime you are going to choose once (a) you decide to make the content of the presentation public and (b) provided you do not wish to stay in the gray zone of "I infringe copyright but who's going to find out":
- if it falls under fair use, it does not matter which licence you are going to use for the dissemination of the presentation
- if it does not fall under fair use or exceptions, then you are infringing copyright, again, irrespectively of the licensing scheme you are going to use.

It is relevant and exactly by your argument.

The scenario I wish to convey is that DURING my presentation,
I may show this three-eared mouse:

http://www.illegal-art.org/print/index.html#notmickey

or play this gray album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zJqihkLcGc

But to ARCHIVE my presentation slides embedding the above images and video
at the workshop website, CC BY or not CC BY, will burden me as
Disney may choose to interpret 'fair use' differently than I.
In addition, I am no YouTube hence don't have lawyers to cover me.

best,
Tyng-Ruey