cc-uk - Re: [Cc-uk] FS vs CC?

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: cc-uk <cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-uk] FS vs CC?
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 09:30:07 +0100
On 27 Jun 2005, at 23:45, J. Grant wrote:

IMHO the missing link here is open standards. I don't care if
I'm using non-Free software, so long as the core data structures
are based on open standards that let me switch to alternate
software whenever I care to....

Agreed.

I dissent. :-) If the non-free software isn't available for my platform, or if I'm supporting software that could embrace & extend, corrupt, or drop support for the format, I don't think it's a good idea.

Let us hope that CC will finally switch from Macromedia Flash to W3C's SVG / XHTML / CSS / JavaScript.

They'll need the tools. Free Software will have to support Free Culture here.

I was looking at maps.google.co.uk earlier, it looks great, but I think most of the functionality is server side.

Google Maps is an "AJAX" application. The interesting functionality is client-side Javascript. This shows how a Keynote-style applciation could be written in DHTML.

- Rob.