cc-uk - RE: [Cc-uk] FS vs CC?

  • From: "David Hirst" <dhirst AT pavilion.co.uk>
  • To: "'David M. Berry'" <d.berry AT sussex.ac.uk>
  • Cc: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [Cc-uk] FS vs CC?
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 19:42:15 +0100

The openness of the debate, and the willingness of people who consider themselves part of the “movement” to engage in “internal” yet public and published debate seems to be an important part of the freedoms the movement(s) is/are aiming to achieve.

What seems to be important to emphasise is the extent of the agreement across the movement(s). There are clearly things we all share, and the debate is often about clarifying what these shared views are.

“Big Media” tends not to see it this way. All the newspapers and channels tend to seek the disagreements and arguments, and emphasise these. In part this is because it is more interesting, and does give a platform for the full breadth of ideas to be expressed.

Rather too often though Big Media seeks to sow and create discord and to damage consensus among its opponents. Argument for its own sake becomes the objective. This tends to give undue air time to the extremist and contrarians of the debate, however marginalised they may be, and so give the impression of discord and disorganisation. This also benefits the “status quo” of corporate dominance, who can then appear to be the “reasonable middle ground”. It is fear of the debate turning sterile in this way that seems to drive the desire to get the message clear and simple, and suppress anything that is not “on message”.

Yet to keep too closely “on message” is framing the debate in their terms, not ours.

Many organisations resolve this by spending time concentrating on a “Mission Statement”, which says clearly and succinctly what they do and stand for. Actually, mostly the mission statement is about what the organisation does NOT do, and its power lies in requiring people to justify the relationship between what they are saying or doing, and the mission. A sound organisation will never ask its people to do things that are not compatible with its mission, or perhaps, will never fire somebody who refuses to do something not contributing to the Mission.

In this case, it might be worthwhile to see if we can find single sentences that show the commonality of the movement(s), but also the different areas of interest.

I look forward to the suggestions.

David