cc-sampling - Re: [cc-sampling] name change

cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of the Creative Commons Sampling license (or license option)

  • From: David <david AT locarecords.com>
  • To: cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-sampling] name change
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 21:41:34 +0100

On 4 Aug 2004, at 20:21, Christopher M. Kelty wrote:

oh please. Creative Commons is not the government, they can do
whatever they like. I think they (actually it's really only 2-3 really
hard working people) did a pretty good job of trying to incorporate
feedback from this list. i'm sorry you feel so downtrodden, and i wish
it could have been different. I wish there had been a worldwide
plebecite to determine the proper name of the license. but alas, there
was not.

Clearly Creative Commons is not the government – if it were I would be seriously considering voting for regime change.

So what is it is 2-3 people? Does that mean they should be left to do whatever they like? Why bother setting up the list to discuss it. And if Creative Commons is unresponsive to its supporters and thinks it can do the hell it likes - then it clearly is not the organisation I thought it was.

It's tough to be criticised but with power comes responsibility, whether you like it or not.

And actually there *was* a debate about the name of the license. And yes a decision was made. And the decision was to call it the SAMPLING LICENSE!

If it pisses you off, don't use the license! go make your own! Or
just call it the Sampling License. Creative Commons cannot and will
not stop you. Call it whatever you like! Start your own nonprofit!
Free us from the tyranny of Minister Gil! Please do it somewhere
other than in my mailbox though...

Forking the license is hardly the point, and perhaps forking whenever there is disagreement about something is like pressing a nuclear button just because someone says something they don't like. I believe in debate and deliberation rather than petulantly walking off.

In any case, Creative Commons has power, it has written the licenses and it is promoting and advertising them. But of course, you know this as well as I do, and should I leave the debate and 'set up my own license' you will continue to be the big player. Neither of us will gain from the situation and you are alienating a (critical) supporter.

As regards your desire to protect your mailbox, if you feel that you would not like to be involved in this debate any longer I would suggest that you leave the list.

Regards

David

---

http://www.locarecords.com