cc-sampling - Fwd: [cc-sampling] over reacting

cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of the Creative Commons Sampling license (or license option)

  • From: Glenn Otis Brown <glenn AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Fwd: [cc-sampling] over reacting
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 13:16:48 -0700

Begin forwarded message:

From: Glenn Otis Brown <glenn AT creativecommons.org>
Date: August 4, 2004 1:15:55 PM PDT
To: MARK / negativland <markhosler AT bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [cc-sampling] over reacting

Dunno what to make of that. It may simply be that the CC crew is swamped and underfunded and overextended and let this thing slide with out realizing it (?).

that's pretty much it, except for the not realizing it part. give me a little time and i'll give you a full response. there's also the factor that this list has established itself as a bit of a conversational tarbaby, with wholly unproductive and uninformed name-calling becoming the norm.

Kinda sloppy behavior, yep,

this is exactly what i mean. it doesn't exactly make it a thrill to roll out of bed and start typing on this list.
Hopefully some clarification will be forthcoming.

yes, it will. but mandarins like me, you should know, juggle many many balls, and as much as i love this license and project, there is a lot of stuff going on here.

I think they (actually it's really only 2-3 really
hard working people) did a pretty good job of trying to incorporate
feedback from this list. i'm sorry you feel so downtrodden, and i wish
it could have been different. I wish there had been a worldwide
plebecite to determine the proper name of the license. but alas, there
was not.

If it pisses you off, don't use the license! go make your own!

The point of this list is to discuss this stuff, not just dismiss opinions. David from LOCA is taking a tone that is a bit over the top for my tastes, but he is asking some good questions, nonetheless. Your reply sounds too much like the old "hey, if you don't like our country, why don't you leave!" comment that is directed at critics of our government. That kind of thinking stops healthy debate dead in it's tracks. The point of this list was to have healthy debate!

mark

Or
just call it the Sampling License. Creative Commons cannot and will
not stop you. Call it whatever you like! Start your own nonprofit!
Free us from the tyranny of Minister Gil! Please do it somewhere
other than in my mailbox though...

ck

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 08:02:20PM +0100, David wrote:
> And for the grand finale, Minister of Culture Gilberto Gil will
> officially release a few of his songs under the License Formerly
> Known as Sampling, which, from this moment forward, will be called
> Recombo, a name inspired by the Brazilian art collective re:combo.
> Minister Gil was in Lisbon last week, playing with Paul McCartney
> and others, and just earlier this week he inaugurated the Brazil v.
> Argentina futebol match with song on national television. Needless
> to say we are humbled and thrilled beyond belief to have him
> preside over this important day. And as if that weren't enough, Mr.
> Gil is playing a live show later tonight. Recombo-licensed songs
> will be featured.
>
> Brazil offers two gifts to the world today: Recombo creativity, and
> the music of Gilberto Gil.
>
> More soon. Stay tuned.

-----

Now that's what I call democracy!

Certainly questions should be asked...

- Who exactly was so inspired I wonder?

- Why exactly are we naming licenses after currently existing groups?
(In which case I would have preferred the Negativland license myself
;-)

- What (to repeat an earlier question I asked) was the point of this
list?

- Does anyone have the feeling that the sampling license (RIP) has
become an advertising hoarding?

- Will Creative Commons stay quiet and hope that this whole debate will
go away if they ignore it?

- Does anyone at Creative Commons *care* about what people involved in
this list think about being so blatantly used, ignored and overruled!

David

---

http://www.locarecords.com

On 4 Aug 2004, at 18:35, Mike Linksvayer wrote:

> Thomas Margoni wrote:
>
> > I hope David will be wrong, so if anyone knows why there's a new
> > name for this license, i hope he/her will post this list, as it
> > > is still on
> >

> http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/4234
> http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/4236
> http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/4303
>
> --
> Mike Linksvayer
> http://creativecommons.org/learn/aboutus/people#21

© © © © © © © © © © © © © © © © © © © © © © © © © © © © © © © © ©
AHOY THERE! I have changed my e-mail address and it is now -

mark / negativland <markhosler AT bellsouth.net>

My old address at markhosler AT charter.net is no longer being used.

Glenn Otis Brown
Executive Director
Creative Commons
glenn AT creativecommons.org
+1.415.946.3065 (telephone)
+1.415.336.1433 (mobile)
------------------------------------
(cc) Some rights reserved.
------------------------------------

Glenn Otis Brown
Executive Director
Creative Commons
glenn AT creativecommons.org
+1.415.946.3065 (telephone)
+1.415.336.1433 (mobile)
(cc) Some rights reserved.

  • Fwd: [cc-sampling] over reacting, Glenn Otis Brown, 08/04/2004