cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Lawsuit over Virgin Mobile's and Ethical Use

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Lawsuit over Virgin Mobile's and Ethical Use
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 06:53:01 -0400

On Monday 01 October 2007 01:14 am, Karl Ebener wrote:
> Hi Terry,
>
> imho the restriction "BY" is not only there to enforce parts of the
> European moral rights (don't want to open debate on principles...) , but
> is due to a analogy to open source licensing, where attribution is a
> very important part of participation. You join, you contribute and thus,
> you are named. It is an (=one of more) incentive for contributing...

BY is much more than that - more akin to the old BSD advertising clause.

Why do I say this? Watch / think:

This seems like a good place to do this...

Would someone make up a 15 minute to 1 hour "example" music radio show
playing
BY amd BY-SA music where the songs have gone through 5 to 10 generations.
Assume 3 minute songs. (You can leave the actual songs out naturally and just
record the Jock or whatever other way you choose to put in the BY and the
licenseing info needed to comply with the license.) Also assume this is a
broadcast only station with no internet presence.

So, once again, I will repeat my call for making BY optional and further for
the option of a NOBY at least for SA works.