cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] can someone check this wrapper for me?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: adam hyde <adam AT xs4all.nl>
  • To: "B. Jean" <veille.jus AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] can someone check this wrapper for me?
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 14:29:04 +0200

cool...nice points :)

> By using the license of you own choice, you avoid any confusion. You
> speak about compatibilité : the GPL is also incompatible with all other
> licenses (in fact, there are an exception since the last update)...

which is why I suggested that CC would have been better to just make the
cc-gpl wrapper and stop there

> About the weakness of the GPL about free content, you can read the
> Rosen's Book about "Open Source Licensing " [1] . Your very strong :
> providing a link entitled " why not use GPL for Manuals " to use GPL...
> for manuals ! :-)
> But I see what you mind.

the link to the " why not use GPL for Manuals " shows that the FDL is
designed to protect business models of publishers...as stallman further
states:
"At least two commercial publishers of software manuals have told me
they are interested in using this license."
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/why-gfdl.html

doesn't seem to me the license is focused on free as in 'libre'

the second link was to show the gpl _can_ be used for documentation.
which is my prefered choice because of the issues with the rationale of
the fdl

> By the SFDL, I mean the Simple Free D.. L.., an other draft you can find
> one the draft's website [2] ; which would certainly be the best GNU
> license for content.

i dont think so (see earlier email)

> Finally, some other licenses for contents are available : like the Free
> Art License. This one might be compatible with the CC-By-SA in its
> earlier version (1.3, still not translated).
>
> Of course, do as you want, but knowingly these critics.

and another point: documentation for free software, in my opinion,
should consider being in the same license as the software itself...this
eases implementation for programmers

adam

--

adam hyde