cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] can someone check this wrapper for me?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "B. Jean" <veille.jus AT gmail.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] can someone check this wrapper for me?
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 19:17:10 +0200

drew Roberts a écrit :
Benjamin,

you still do not directly comment on my point that people constantly put code on display on web sites via web/cvs integration.
you're right, my apologizes !

1) if an owner displays his code on any website : everything is ok, because he don't have to ask to anybody but himself ;
2) if somebody else wants to display (and not only give link to download — that is a distribution) this code : he's doing something that the license didn't allow.
Everybody does it, because owner and licensee both think that the GPL permit to act by this way. Notwithstanding, the license didn't state on it. That's all.

I never said that people should not do that, but the GNU GPL v2, actually, do not permit it. The license is only an instrument, and we have to use it carefully.

Yet, maybe I'm wrong somewhere, just correct me :)

Cheers,
Benjamin