cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] can someone check this wrapper for me?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: adam hyde <adam AT xs4all.nl>
  • To: "B. Jean" <veille.jus AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] can someone check this wrapper for me?
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 13:00:26 +0200

hey

well, in my opinion CC is a mess. I'm sorry to have to say it, but its
just too confusing to anyone wanting to use material to have a dozen
licenses to contend with, with no information about what licenses are
compatible internally or external to the CC license family.

The GPL is 1 license, and can be applied to non-software:
"any work of any nature that can be copyrighted can be copylefted with
the GNU GPL."
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/nonsoftware-copyleft.html

I wish the CC would have made the CC-GPL wrapper and stopped there. It would
have made the world a much better place for freedom of content.

As for the FDL. It is not a free license, and the FSF should drop it. I
can't believe they get away with saying it is 'free' when it has clauses
intended to protect publishers form losing their publishing business
model.:
"Meanwhile, the GFDL has clauses that help publishers of free manuals
make a profit from selling copies"
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhyNotGPLForManuals

Also, if someone can explain to me what the difference is between
documentation and software I will buy them that elusive free beer.

adam

--

adam hyde
'free as in media'