cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Is "podsafe" music affected by CRB rulings

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Kevin Phillips (home)" <tacet AT qmpublishing.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Is "podsafe" music affected by CRB rulings
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 10:27:13 +0100

There are two conditions/scearios I've come across (personally and from
other musicians)

1) musician releases music to a community to have stuff remixed/shared under
no expectation usually under NC....because of the (possible false)
assumption that no large commercial entity can then "use" it. In the
McDonalds example Eric gave, or in the real world example where a corporate
viral marketing campaign on YouTube used a ccMixter audio track and only
paid up after being outed by the YT community.

2) musician releases music generally to the net, blog space, or myspace - if
it's cc licensed then quite often it's an SA license because of the
(possible false) assumption that no large commercial entity can then "use"
it (as above).

In both instances (NC & SA) the musician IS covered by the "catch all" Sound
Exchange system for radio playback, if she/he's registered with SE at least.
Most folks aren't, so the way I understand it is that the payments go in
their general pot marked "misc royalty payments".

Initially some webcaster/podcasters assume because cc music is "free" it'll
help remove some of the burdon of payments under the new system. However
when they look into it further they discover the SE catch all and dutifully
pay their fees or switch back to their (c) source material.

NC licensed music is a no-go area for most podcasters/webcasters because
they ultimately have to pay for their stream fees, the money usually comes
from click-thrus or banners, and NC licenses don't have any degrees of
tolerance for these things.

There are no license options for "I grant a no-compesation allowance for
podcasters or webcasters" in order to help them reduce their insane royalty
payments (and gain me some exposure). I would tick that box, as long as it
wasn't a loop hole for ClearChannel.

Kev