cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Is "podsafe" music affected by CRB rulings

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Jonathon Blake" <jonathon.blake AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Is "podsafe" music affected by CRB rulings
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 06:07:49 +0000

Eric wrote:

The issue of the NC license certainly does add an element of complexity
though. It's unfortunate because I'd bet most musicians who use NC just want
to make sure a scenario like McDonald's using one of their tracks in a
commercial won't happen, not knowing about the difficulties this could cause
a webcaster with a tip jar, to use a previously given example.

Maybe I am missing something here, but it seems that musicians want a
licence that allows their product to be streamed, but not synchronized
unless a royalty payment is received. I'll grant that they probably
don't want (insert nationwide radio station that plays in 5000 markets
with 1 DJ pretending to be a local inhabitant of all of those markets,
and runs 100 commercials an hour) playing their music.

If that is the case, then writing a brand new licence just for audio
is called for.

xan

jonathon