cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Is "podsafe" music affected by CRB rulings

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Kevin Phillips (home)" <tacet AT qmpublishing.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Is "podsafe" music affected by CRB rulings
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 16:19:50 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Grimmelmann" <james AT grimmelmann.net>
To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts"
<cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Friday, April 06, 2007 3:13 PM

> Eric Garner wrote:
> > Given CC's hesitance toward cluttering the landscape
> > with too many licenses, perhaps a reworking of the
> > existing NC license would do the trick. Kevin proposed
> > a checkbox specifying permission for small-scale
> > pod/webcasters for instance. Something like this would
> > be a huge step closer toward CC's vision of an
> > alternative body of work made *automatically* more
> > accessible for re-use IMO. This is especially poignant
> > today in light of the CRB rulings, and I also see it
> > as an opportunity for CC to nudge that much more into
> > the mainstream.
>
> Question: is this kind of decision something that musicians would care
> about propagating through into derivative works? As long as the license
> proliferation can be kept clear of creating new SA hybrids, the
> consequences of multiplying the licenses are less severe.

Speaking for myself I'd say yes. I see no reason why small podcasters or
startup webcasters shouldn't be able to benefit from my initial work or
derivatives. Anything which stops the barn door slamming shut for them,
because as Eric said the new regulations are somewhat onerous.

> I'm still generally skeptical of new license proposals, but this does
> seem to be an area where license behavior diverges strongly from author
> expectations, and there's also a good case against simply modifying the
> license that isn't working for them.

I think when the cat is out of the bag and musicians begin to learn about
the ramifications you'll have a lot of perfect-pitch emails arriving in the
cc-inbox ;) The limitation is hampering entirely the wrong end of the food
chain imho, completely not in the spirit of CC as I understand it.

Kev