cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Is "podsafe" music affected by CRB rulings

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Kevin Phillips (home)" <tacet AT qmpublishing.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Is "podsafe" music affected by CRB rulings
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 18:05:58 +0100

Sorry,

I crossed over two emails, my fault for answering via webmail and having a very bad day at the office! :)

(btw. no offence to anyone with my loose comment about the buttons, I'm just sore about being ignored a while back when I had a question about lyrics.)

I responded keenly to Eric's post because I have had a related set of questions and found myself in a similar situation, I need to post with more speed and less haste in future :)

I found the following link very useful in assessing the situation for my friend with the station, where most of the music he wanted to play had NC licenses which a LOT of artists assume means "no connected" commercial activity, rather than ads...tip jars etc etc.

For one-man stations like Pearadio I understand the main bear in the snare is D.(d)

(d) As an optional contribution (e.g. a tip jar, donations, membership drive) for **an individual**, an educational institution or nonprofit organization that uses the verbatim NC-licensed work or another work that includes a verbatim NC-licensed work – this is a noncommercial use.

....so he can't even say "I'm an individual" not a company.  If he says he is a company then the whole thing is to the wall anyway.....

(1) Is the person making use of an NC-licensed work an “allowable NC user” under the noncommercial license condition? Allowable NC users are:

(a) an Individual (b) a Nonprofit educational institution/library, (c) a Nonprofit organization as defined under US or equivalent law [1], (together with (1) and (2) “allowable NC users”) (d) A commercial copy shop, ISP, search engine, content aggregator, blog aggregator site or similar service provider who, in the course of providing a service at the direction of the allowable NC user, may exercise a right licensed under the Creative Commons license.

(i) No. License violation – this is not a noncommercial use. (ii) Yes. Continue to Question B.

If this is all correct, then there's no way for a radio station or podcast which is in some way sponsored, to use NC licensed music without contacting and obtaining unique permission from every artist....individually.  Which is just impractical.

I appreciate other licenses are different, but look out, because there's a LOT of NC music out there.

Kev