cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Clarification needed - Copyleft AND Share-Alike with Images

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Clarification needed - Copyleft AND Share-Alike with Images
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 18:46:44 +0000

drew Roberts wrote:

What do you mean by "this is not viral?"

"Viral" is sometimes used as shorthand for "copyleft" but it is a bad description of copyleft. Viruses spread between adjacent cells by force without permission. Copyleft spreads only when you agree to it. So calling copyleft "viral" isn't accurate. In fact many people regard doing so as FUD.

But what we are discussing here goes beyond derivation as the point at which copyleft takes effeect. So I was trying to avoid being too viral for real.

- Rob.