cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Clarification needed - Copyleft AND Share-Alike with Images

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: wolfgang wander <wwc AT lns.mit.edu>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Clarification needed - Copyleft AND Share-Alike with Images
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 07:28:13 -0500

Dear Teun,

I believe no one has any objections to the use of derivations on
wikimedia for cc-by-sa licensed imaged. The author chose SA to
explicitly allow these for all content on the wiki family or similarly
licensed sites.

What Erik proposes is either to limit the re-use possibilities for
images published by cc-by-sa (since many photographers publishing
under cc-by-sa have always interpreted the license this way) or to
come up with a more restrictive license for new content. Either way,
by strengthening the copyleft portion of the license for photographic
images you generate more high quality content that is available to use
for Free sites.

Its about more choice for the content creator. I am a member of a
photography club of about 60 members. Explaining Creative Commons
interpretation of cc-by-sa to the club would be a futile undertaking.
No one would even consider to publish content under these conditions.
However if re-users of their images were forced to give back to the Free
pool Share-Alike the concept becomes a lot more understandable. And
of course, no publisher is really forced to release their texts under
a Free license, only if they want to use Free images to illustrate it
they would be.

This kind of force is very similar to the provisions in the GPL, if
you come up with that great new editor nEwmacs and want to use Emacs'
lisp implementation in it you have the choice to either release nEwmacs
as GPL or write your own newLisp and publish the editor non-Free.

Wolfgang