cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Clarification needed - Copyleft AND Share-Alike with Images

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "teun spaans" <teun.spaans AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Clarification needed - Copyleft AND Share-Alike with Images
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 09:23:11 +0100

Hi Erik,

At commons.wikimedia.org several forms of derivates are in frequent use:
* removing watermarks
* combined pictures where individual images are PD, CC-BY-SA or GFDL

Perhaps I misunderstand your proposal, but your proposed change seems to limit possibilities of the license under which many people published their images at both flickr and commons. That does not seem reasonable to me.

Also, please keep in mind that the derivatives at commons.wikimedia.org are not just combinations. These are a minority among the derivatives. Other frequent derivatives are the partly colouring of maps to highlight a town or provence, and the removal of watermarks.

kind greetings,
teun