cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Coloriuris

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: carobotero AT karisma.org.co
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Coloriuris
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 06:19:58 -0500 (COT)

Andres Guadamuz wrote
> The idea behind this rests on the
> assumption that all licences need to be notarised in civil
> jurisdictions. I also think that this assumption is wrong.

I will say that the idea is more that to complete the contract you need
the "I Accept" therefore they design this structure were the "I accept" is
obvius and the third part will help to enforce it if a problem arises.
Also the license time is an issue because you give the license for periods
of time of maximum 5 years that you can renew.
I believe the idea is to make contracts with the form of traditional
contracts that lawyers can understand easily but allowing people to 'use'
content in the internet.
I believe like Andres the free culture- openess issues are not a concern,
they do not adress point like DRM and many others, and as he sugest I will
say it is better not to get involved in that.

>> Evan Prodromou escribió:
>>> Their system seems to be based on some kind of copyright assignment,
>>> kind of like the Founders' Copyright.

No, it is the other way around, in the founders' idea you keep you
Copyright for a limited period of time and then you release it to Public
Domain. In the Coloriuris squeme you allow some uses to the public during
a limited time (normally 5 years), you are not giving away your copyright
so you regain the full control after the period of time of the
authorization.

> David Maeztu wrote:
>> Of course in Spain, we all know the Coloriuris initiative, and we
>> discuss about both models, ColorIuris and CC, and problems related with
>> licenses in Spanish Law.

In Spain you can follow a lot of discussions abount coloriuris/cc and
contracts/licences, this is true, it is not so much in Latin America, at
least not at the same level and definetely not in Colombia yet.

Best,

Carolina