cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Coloriuris

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT prodromou.name>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Coloriuris
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 22:52:31 -0800

So, I just stumbled across this blog post on Planet Debian:

http://bencer.cauterized.net/blog/index.php?blog/show/47

I quote:

Coloriuris is an organization that provides free licenses with
the same spirit of Creative Commons. This well-known licenses
are only applicable in the Common Law, countries like Spain,
Portugal and the whole Latin America are based on the Roman Law
where Coloriuris licenses should be used instead CC.

That seems to be an inaccurate portrayal of CC licenses' applicability.

Anyways, here's the site:

http://www.coloriuris.net/

Their system seems to be based on some kind of copyright assignment,
kind of like the Founders' Copyright.

I'm not a big fan of needless license proliferation, especially where
there are possible incompatibilities. Especially if the project was
based on an incorrect assumption, i.e. that CC licenses are inapplicable
in Latin American countries.

My question: has anyone involved with Creative Commons or iCommons been
in touch with the Coloriuris folks?

-Evan

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT prodromou.name>