cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Creative commons for music

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: "'Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts'" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Creative commons for music
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 00:48:00 -0400 (EDT)

> Your other comment:
> "Really, if a song is CC-BY-NC, has contact info, and a
> radio station wants to play it, I don't think the license
> is a gating factor."
>
> Sorry I couldn't disagree more. This is the exact problem.
> If I wanted to start an internet radio station and sell
> advertising to keep it going, then I *can not* use CC-BY-NC
> tracks as it is a commercial venture.

Music Mike records some tracks. He licenses one of them
CC-BY-NC-ND. Fans pass the track around via email and their
webpages, and it becomes viral. It eventually comes to the
attention of Radio Rick who is a DJ and who wants to play
the song on their commercial station. If the work is CC-BY,
with a URL that points to license information and contact
information, then Rick can get ahold of Mike and ask him if
he'd be willing to allow him to play the song over commercial
airspace.

You don't need this license to allow people to broadcast
your music for indirect commercial profit. The lack of the
license is not the gating factor. The gating factor is getting
a work that's viral enough that some commercial place wants
to play it. And if they want to play it, and you licensed
it CC-BY-NC-ND, they should be able to click through to your
attribution URL, get your contact information, and email you
for permission to broadcast your work without paying you,
if that's what you're willing ot allow them to do.

Some things don't get solved by a license because the lack of
the license is not the cause of the problem. This is one of
those situations.

Greg