cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Creative commons for music

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Creative commons for music
  • Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 18:59:55 -0400 (EDT)

The way I see it, CC-NC is for generating
fan-based word-of-mouth buzz about a work.
Fans can pass the work around for free,
post it on their websites, their blogs, etc.
But record labels have to pay to play.

When you say this:
> Greg: CC-BY-ND would not provide the artists enough protection.

I take that to mean you are looking at this
Yet-Another-License as something along the same vein:
something that generates buzz for the work,
but retains commercial rights for a work to the original artist.

If that's the case, then I see this idea as splitting hairs.
You are proposing to allow indirect commercial sales, but
that is based off the current way the music industry works
by making most of its money off of selling teh work directly.

If indirect sales are allowed, then direct sales doesn't
give the customer any benefit, other than, perhaps, location,
and in the web, location is just a URL away. It is a license,
that if it succeeded in getting adopted industry-wide, would
render itself moot.

Since you seem to be focusing on what is essentially a
buzz-generating license, and since the means for music
distribution may be completely different in another
couple years, I'd suggest going with a CC-BY-NC license,
include a URL for attribution which contains the license
information and your contact infomation such as email,
and then add in your additional license to allow whatever
specific mode of distribution you want to allow for that
particular song.

"This work is licensed CC-BY-NC. It is also licensed to
be podcast blah, blah,"

Really, if a song is CC-BY, has contact info, and a radio
station wants to play it, I don't think the license is a
gating factor.