cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Creative commons for music

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Creative commons for music
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 22:47:29 +0100
On 3 Apr 2006, at 22:23, Gary (AUDN) wrote:
However, adding advertising now “officially” breaks the non- Commercial aspect of the CC license?
Always has done. :-)
The Music industry seriously needs a different version of the CC license which allows commercial companies to be allowed to broadcast the work, be it using Podcast, traditional radio, internet radio, in clubs, pubs or cafes etc. for public entertainment.
Musicians could release a closed version of the track as a promo and an NC version of the track for online advertising^D^D remixing. I think. I am not a lawyer, though.
This is not just the commercial CC license, as music could not be burnt on a CD and sold, become the brand of a corporation, using to advertise a product, or derivative works made etc.
The NC Sampling Plus license protects against advertising and un- transformative derivation. I don't know how it interacts with commercial airplay. IANAL.
Perhaps the non-Commercial license should have an option to allow broadcasting on commercial radio/casting as long as it is not used as part of an advertising message and the track still attributed in a reasonable way.
But this would go against the whole idea of "non-commercial". The commercial station would be making money off the track. It is no different to burning it to CD and selling it.
Is this in the realm of CC, or does the industry need a separate alternative to PPL/MCPC/PRS (this is what we have in the UK).
Certainly recording societies need to be more CC-aware. There is some work going on to this end in the UK, you could try the CC-UK mailing list but I don't think there's any news on that front yet.

- Rob.