cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Creative commons for music

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Creative commons for music
  • Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 00:46:30 +0000

Rob Myers wrote:

Perhaps the non-Commercial license should have an option to allow broadcasting on commercial radio/casting as long as it is not used as part of an advertising message and the track still attributed in a reasonable way.

But this would go against the whole idea of "non-commercial". The commercial station would be making money off the track. It is no different to burning it to CD and selling it.

On the contrary, I'd say it's very different: There's a lot of
difference between "indirect" profit from the free sharing
of a work and "direct" profit by controlling the distribution
of the work.

In fact, I think there's probably a lot of people who wouldn't
care about the indirect profit issue as long as they could
retain a monopoly on selling CDs or whatever medium they
chose (or on per-track download fees).

But clearly this is not the meaning of the current NC clause.

Terry