cc-licenses - Re: designer patterns using CC

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: kebunhouse <kebunhouse AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: designer patterns using CC
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:24:31 -0700

> She can download a lace pattern, it creates the lace on a
> sheet of weird plastic (to hold the thread in place), and
> then when it's done, she soaks the plastic in water and it
> disintegrates, leaving nothing but the lace.

Yikes! Now I have to know what machine your friend uses! Does she have
work available online?

> I don't think its any sort of conspiracy or short-sightedness
> going on.
I didn't mean to suggest a lack of insight on the matter. In the
physical product world, so much of the fear of sharing is in being the
first to get to market. The window of opportunity can be very small.
What you make today is outdated tomorrow to a certain extent. Software
may have this problem sometimes but there are always upgrades to
alleviate the issue. The concept of "upgrading" clothing is
impractical and financially unfeasible. The only thing worth upgrading
is brand image and intellectual property.

> Same goes for clothing, I think. there's all the additional
> equipment needed to put it into reality. For a sewing geek, they're not
> always
> computer savvy, and a computer and software is extra money.
> My friend with the fancy sewing machine is "OK" with
> computers, but she isn't a "geek".

Funny, now that I've had time to think about the concept, fashion is
entirely based on derivative work. Appropriation is always in a
balance between homage and piracy. Tom Ford (ex-gucci) said at a
conference in Jan. that a good designer is someone who knows when is
the right time for the right style(paraphrased). Fashion is in a
constant cycle of building upon the past. It's accepted I believe. But
unlike software where CC licenses I feel are intented to further the
function and purpose, fashion "sharing" will not do the same. Will it?
Not completely sure...

> I think somthing like fashion is mostly a commodity
> market already, and the money to be made is from advertising
> and branding which distinguishes your pair of jeans from
> the competitors pair of jeans. If a fashion version of
> RedHat came into being, it would need something that would
> distinguish it from the fashion version of SUSE and all the
> others. And I'm not sure how a company would do that.

Commodity is right! I guess if some type of fashion is to be public
domain, it would need to find a way to lower the hard cost barrier.
Someone told me that if you put 3 peas on a plate and asked a hipster
which one is cooler, they would know. I think this is the point. So
much of fashion is the same borrowed style. If one of those peas were
CC, it would need something else to distinguish it from the others,
some intangible. Maybe the idea that it is CC? A collective "pea" made
by many?... Sound like CC fashion would become it's own "brand".