cc-licenses - Re: designer patterns using CC

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: designer patterns using CC
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 17:23:59 -0400 (EDT)

Rob Meyers wrote:
> On 14 Jun 2005, at 21:31, Greg London wrote:
>> physical stuff will be slower to adopt creative commons
>> licensing simply because it is more expensive to
>> convert electronic files to real-world applications.
>
> Wellll. :-) Clothes patterns are a counter-example because it's
> cheaper to distribute a pattern electronically than to print it, ship
> it, and keep it on the shelf for ages.

That is true. I just think that for formats and mediums
that exist purely electronically (music, video, software, pictures, text)
simply get more reward to downstream users than stuff
that requires physical implementations, such as clothes.

If contributers are motivated by the reward/benefit they
can give to downstream users, then electronic medium
will generally offer greater rewards because the thing
itself is electronic, whereas something like clothing
patterns, the pattern can be distributed freely, but
the thing itself requires rolls of cloth to create,
so contributers will see less reward to contribute.

I didn't say >no< reward, I simply said >less<.

Which simply means that it may take a little more
time to find folks who are willing to contribute
stuff that generates smaller rewards (probably
because they just love sewing or whatever, and
they're computer savvy).

Oh, and I think for it to really take off, it will
need contributers who are willing to put their
sewing patterns under a license that is truly free.
Something that allows commercial use, so that the
thing itself is a commodity market, rather than
a commercial monopoly of the original author.

I've been waiting for more "free beer" recipes,
but haven't heard too much lately. Someone put
out a recipe for beer a few months back and
put it under some copyleft license.

It hasn't shown up in my brewpub yet...

;)

--
Bounty Hunters: Metaphors for Fair IP laws
http://www.greglondon.com/bountyhunters/