cc-licenses - Re: designer patterns using CC

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: kebunhouse <kebunhouse AT gmail.com>, Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: designer patterns using CC
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 17:11:57 +0100

I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice.

On 10 Jun 2005, at 21:43, kebunhouse wrote:

I'm a fashion designer interested in using a CC license to make some
of my patterns available for download. I'm having a hard time deciding
what type of license I would need. I would make the patterns
available in digital image form, say as a jpg or pdf. Since the user
would have to print out the image in order to use it, does the rights
still apply to the paper form?

Yes. The paper print is a copy of the digital file, so people need your permission to make that copy.

And is it better to get an "image" license versus an "other" license?

The format isn't important for the licence, it just gets added to the machine-readable data if you use that.

What is important is choosing how you want people to be able to use your work: commercially, modifying it, requiring that they share changes.

Is a CC license the best choice for my needs?

It depends: how do you want people to be able to use your work?

There's an example of someone distributing patterns under a CC license here:

http://www.savvyseams.com/

- Rob.

Thanks.
khouse